Monday, July 8, 2013

Bone Broth

I thought I should follow up that doozy of a first post with a simple one. One of the easiest, yummiest, and healthiest things I have done to improve my health and heal my gut was to start making and cooking with/drinking homemade bone broth. The stuff in the store is crap, do not buy it! Cans and cartons have BPA in them, and most store bought broths have chemicals in them that you don't want to ingest. And making broth is so freakin' easy!!! If you have a crock pot it is the easiest, but doing it on the stove is doable too, you just have to be home to do it. The calcium and minerals in bone broth are readily available to your body (great for healing deficiencies) and the gelatin from the cartilage in the bones helps heal the mucosal lining in your gut (if you have an auto immune disease or a food allergy, this is imperative). I prefer organic grass fed beef marrow bones from one of our fab butchers in SC, but you should be able to get marrow bones from the butcher at most grocery stores. You can also make broth with a chicken carcass, but you won't get as much gelatin from their smaller bones. Here is how I do it:

3-4 marrow bones (organic grass fed beef)
1 knuckle bone- if I can get it (organic grass fed beef)
2 tablespoons vinegar per quart filtered water (I use Bragg's ACV)- the vinegar helps pull the minerals out of the bones.

I plop the bones in the crock pot, fill the pot with water, add the appropriate amount of vinegar, and turn it on low for 48 hours. Beef bones take longer, and it is recommended to cook them like this for at least 48 hours. Chicken bones can be cooked for less time. I usually leave my broth on for 3-4 days, stewing away, because I like my broth really nice and rich. I usually have a batch going on the counter in the kitchen, since we cook with it and sometimes just drink mugs of it, and I like to have a least one gallon mason jar full of it in the fridge to use when I want it.

If you try it, let me know what you think! Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. All winter I've been doing the "huge pot on the stove for 3 days" method then freee multiple small containers, and it kept the house warm and cozy and at a healthy humidity level (not cold, dry air). Now that we're heading toward summer, I have no interest in heating up the house & adding to the already high humidity with a pot on the stove for 3 days. I remembered your blog & recipe for making it in a crock pot, so headed over here to get the particulars, and I'm sure I'm going to be happier with the "constant crock pot on the counter" method through the summer. I do add chicken feet to mine per somebody's recipe, I think it was Mark's Daily Apple?... Thanks for this recipe and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenda! Thanks for the comment- I am so happy you found my post helpful! I really love making the broth in the crock pot- it is just so easy, throw all the stuff in and pop in on and walk away! My house is constantly smelling like bone broth, since I pretty much have a batch on most of the time (we drink a mug of it a day around here), and sometimes it bugs me that my house smells like cooking bones all the time, but when people come over they tell me it smells amazing, so I will live with the smell to be able to have the gut healing yummy broth always available. Also, adding chicken feet to the broth is a FANTASTIC idea- chicken feet are high in gelatin, and that's what you want your broth to be full of- it's so good for our skin and gut and bones! We try to get knuckle bones from our butcher for lots of collagen and gelatin, along with marrow bones. So glad you are enjoying the blog! Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe!!! It was perfect and turned out great!! I already can't wait to make more ;) Thanks, BFF!!

    ReplyDelete