Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Oil cleansing

So today, I thought I would talk about some skincare stuff. As my friends know, I am pretty obsessed with my skin. I have had struggles with it in the past, mainly when I was super sick and on gluten, and then when I went off the pill (hello cystic acne on my chin for the very first time!). Once I changed my diet*, learned some tools to deal with my stress, and started getting my hormones back in balance, my skin has gotten much better. When I did the major "chucking everything with any kind of crazy horrible chemical in it", I got rid of 99% of my body products, which is a lot (my husband will tell you- I am a body product junkie!). And then I went, "well shit, what do I use now?". So I started researching. I had used oils on and off when I was living a gluten heavy life, and they had worked for me, so that was the direction I went. There are some great clean-ish bath product companies, but I am very very staunch about putting no weird chemicals on my bod, so even those were out. I like to frequent healthy living blogs, and was realizing that I was going to have to start becoming a body product chemist (which is cool 'cause I love chemistry) in order to make stuff for my skin that was chemical free and worked for me (I do use some things from the Annmarie Gianni and Pratima lines, which are both amazing and satisfy my need for fancy face stuff). And that is when I stumbled upon the "oil cleansing method". What is the oil cleansing method, you ask? Well, it is exactly what is sounds like- you wash your face with oil...

Ok, I know to some of you that is going to sound crazy- those of us that have grown up any time in the last 40 years or so have been sold a bill of goods, being told that in order to get rid of acne we have to dry the hell out of our faces with intense astringents and chemicals. Now we know this is bull. If you use the right oil for your skin and the time of year, it actually cuts down on the skins production of its own oils (think about it- if you dry out your face really badly, your skin wants to make more oil to help with the dryness. Hence, more acne). Oil cleansing is super easy, and my skin LOVES IT. Overnight I felt a difference, and I have been doing it for 6 months and haven't looked back. I don't think I could buy face cleanser ever again. The oil is also the best makeup remover I have ever used, so if you wear makeup this is a plus (I am addicted to mascara). So, without further ado, here is how to Oil Cleanse:

(all oils should be Organic and cold pressed- you don't want to put chemicals and pesticides on to your beautiful face!- I love Mountain Rose Herbs oils)

Castor Oil
Other oil of your choice:
         -For dry skin: Olive oil, Macadamia nut oil, Avocado oil (think nice of yummy fats)
         -For oily/combo skin:  Grapeseed oil, Jojoba oil, Sunflower oil, Rosehip oil
          (Rosehip oil is great if you have sun spots, it helps to lighten them)
         -Oils that are good to add if you have dermatitis: Evening Primrose oil, Borage oil
Depending on your skin, mix the Castor oil and other oil as such:
         -Dry skin: 1/3 castor oil to 2/3 other oil
         -Combo skin: 1/2 castor oil to 1/2 other oil
         -Oily skin: 2/3 castor oil to 1/3 other oil.

Mix the oils in a glass container with a pump, and every night pump a little bit onto your fingers and rub it all in your skin. Don't take your makeup off first, since the oil will get it all off. When you feel like it is all nice and rubbed in, take a hot wet washcloth and put it over your face and let the steam work its magic. I usually "re-hot water" my washcloth a few times, to really open up my pores. As you do this, the Castor oil works to pull dirt and bacteria out of your pores. Then when you are done, simply wipe off the oils and you are fresh and clean and your face won't have that weird tight feeling like when you strip it of all it's happiness with soap. Viola! You look gorgeous! and your skin will thank you.

Let me know if you try it and what you think, and if you have any questions! 

*If I over indulge in dairy, which I did other night with homemade clam chowder (do you know how much dairy is in clam chowder??!!), I have a breakout the next day. I can also feel increased congestion in my body, so it makes sense that it would increase my skin congestion. But mostly my skin likes my diet of lots of veggies, good protein and no gluten, as long as I go easy on the parmesan.

**a note on coconut oil- I have used coconut oil before, and in the summer sometimes still use it because it does have a small amount of spf occurring in it naturally, but I find that for many people it makes them break out due to the medium chain fatty acids (which make it so yummy!) so use caution on your face with it at first if you choose to try it.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the oil cleansing method. I have been doing it for just over 4 months. There has been some trial and error and a little bit of frustration and dry patches in weird places on my face (the sides of my nose and between my eyebrows). But, I think I have found my magic combo...for this season at least. I cut out the castor oil completely because I think that was actually part of the problem for me. My skin is generally pretty clear besides some blackheads, which the oil helps with (they are still there, but they are smaller and they go away easier).

    I am currently washing with straight olive oil and then following up with argan oil as a moisturizer. Around my eyes I use Annmarie Gianni anti-aging eye cream, which is lovely. I only wash my face once a day in the shower in the morning. So I just rub the oil on, then wipe it off with a hot, wet washcloth. I agree that the oil takes makeup off like a charm...when I wear it that is!

    I also feel like I need the occasional exfoliation. I just got the Annmarie Gianni ayurvedic scrub and have begun adding that to my routine once or twice a week--it's a powder, so I mix it with olive oil to make a paste.

    Thank you for letting me tag along on this journey with you...I love following in the path you have cleared for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did give OCM a go, but am currently trying a set routine and sticking with it to see if it was the up and down of my skincare routine that was causing the problem. Am definitely fascinated by the process though, and still using a muslin cloth :) Love rosehip oil x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good For Me, Good For You:
    I think a routine is super important- right now I am loving Evan Healy's Blue (rosehip oil based) skincare line, and I also love Annmarie Gianni (I think you are in the UK, not sure if you can get either of those lines there). I honestly think the most important part of clear skin is having a super clean diet- it is really the biggest thing that has helped me (no gluten, soy, sugar, etc). Love your blog, good luck with the "greening" beauty journey!

    ReplyDelete