Thursday, September 5, 2013

An extra tip to make your green cleaning supplies even greener...

Yesterday I was chatting with a friend and she mentioned that she enjoyed the last blog post, but wanted to know what I did about using plastic spray bottles for my cleaning supplies- she knows how much I try to avoid plastic- and I realized I should have mentioned just that topic at the end of the last post. It is almost impossible to avoid all plastics (not totally, but it takes serious commitment). I try to avoid using plastic as much as possible without becoming a fanatic about it, and we know what a thin line that is to walk! This is what works for me: I buy a few smaller bottles (still pretty large, but not the huge jug) of white vinegar in glass bottles (since you will use the vinegar, this is a win-win) and then take the spray nozzles from the old plastic cleaning bottles that you have (it is pretty easy to find ones that fit, most plastic spray bottle nozzle mouths are the same size as the vinegar bottle mouths) and put them onto the glass bottles. I know, the nozzle is still plastic, and this is where I throw in the towel with the plastic avoidance- someday maybe my husband can make me a glass and stainless steel nozzle, but that sounds really intense and time consuming, and we all have lives, and you just have to do your best. Then once you have those glass bottles, you can just refill them with the big jugs of bulk white vinegar, or take it to the next next next level and make your own vinegar (which happens around here sometimes when we let the kombucha go for too long- no one likes drinking kombucha turned vinegar!) And there you have it, no more throwing away all those small plastic bottles when you are done with the cleaning supplies in them! Give it a try, and let me know if you do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment